Thursday, January 24, 2013

Affordable Destinations for 2013

Fodor's (www.fodors.com) is an old established name in the travel guidebook business. The founder Eugene Fodor is long gone (I glimpsed him at an SATW meeting in 1989,not long before his death. He was a slim elegant Hungarian gentleman with white hair then,) but the brand carries on.
On their blog (www.fodors.com/news/) one of the most popular blog posts is a list of seven affordable destinations for 2013. They include Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; St. Augustine, Florida; Amsterdam, the Netherlands; and Nashville, Tennessee, among others.
I have quarrels with some of these choices. A quick search of hotels in Rio found very few under $200 a night right now, but that may be because of Carnival. I also know that the Brazilian real has appreciated significantly against the U.S. dollar in recent years. In South America, I would choose a place like Quito, Ecuador for affordability over Rio. (Full disclosure--I have been to Quito but not Rio.)
Along similar lines, I would choose Berlin, Germany over Amsterdam for affordability and interesting sights. Berlin is a real bargain by standards of northern Europe and has a lot to offer in terms of history and museums. So does Amsterdam, but at higher prices generally. I have visited both cities, although it's quite a while since I was in Amsterdam.
Nashville, TN may be of interest to country music fans, but otherwise I don't think it has a lot to offer except for The Hermitage, homestead of President Andrew Jackson, known as Old Hickory. Instead of Nashville I would choose Chicago. Hotels may be more costly, but there is a lot more to see.( But then, having been born in Chicago, I may be prejudiced.)
In any case, check out Fodors for some views on budget travel and for their forums. Their guidebooks aren't bad either, although they tend to skew toward luxury travel.

1 Comments:

Blogger destination-insights said...

Wow! Very nice and romantic place to visits hope to be there soon.

Best Travel Blog

12:37 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home